Yesterday was rough. Let’s just say that girls night turned into crazy night toward the end. The girls and I drank a couple drinks too many, and we were all 100% messes the next day.
That definitely took me back to my college days, and I must say, I don’t know how I coped with a hangover while trying to write papers. Yikes. I couldn’t even manage to get out of bed for more than some water or to go the bathroom. I guess I’m getting old. Well, since I want to stay hangover-free for as long as possible, I’m writing a short little post about how to avoid the dreaded beastly hangover. Hopefully, I can practice what I preach.
How to Avoid a Hangover
1. Limits – You should roughly know how many drinks you plan on having. Even if you get to your limit and you “don’t feel drunk,” don’t keep drinking. Sometimes being drunk can creep up on you, and if you have more and more drinks, you’ll be a hot mess in no time.
2. High-Quality H20 – Every time you finish a drink, get a glass of water. Alcohol is severely dehydrating, and that contributes to that ghastly hangover that’s waiting for you in the morning. If you don’t want people to know that you’re drinking water, ask for a bit of lemon and a straw.
3. Never Ever Mix – This was my problem. After a couple margaritas, someone had the bright idea to order shots. In my head, I knew I should turn it down but I didn’t. The shot was definitely not tequila (which is what is in margaritas) so it didn’t sit well. Rule: Stick to one alcohol.
4. Keep that Tummy Full – Before you start drinking, I’d recommend that you eat a piece of toast and some butter. Drinking on an empty stomach can make you drunk faster, and can lead to some unpleasant dry heaves in the morning. Plus, drinking causes you to lower your inhibitions, making you more likely to get White Castle at 4 am.
Granted, you can do all of this and still end up with a hangover. Sometimes we over-drink, sometimes something just doesn’t sit right and sometimes things just don’t go as planned. The only thing we can do is learn from the situation and try to feel better as soon as possible.
Here are some of my tips for fighting off a hangover:
1. Ginger Ale – This drink is my savior if I’m hung over, or just not feeling well. It calms your stomach, and it’s actually really tasty. If you don’t have any in your home, just put a couple teaspoons of ginger in some water and mix.
2. Rest – There is no miracle cure for a hangover, and it will take time to overcome it. The best way to do this is by resting. Get in your bed, turn off the television and sleep. Your body needs it.
3. Carbs – Though it’s really difficult to shove food down your throat when you’re feeling awful, your body does need it. Stick to things like bread, crackers, a little bit of peanut butter, etc.
4. Water Bottle – Ginger ale may be my recommendation, but there’s no substitute for water. It’ll help rehydrate your body, so make sure to keep drinking it throughout the day. Carry a water bottle with you if necessary.
So there you have it. My tricks of the trade for preventing a hangover and dealing with one.🙂
Do you have any hangover tips? Have you had a hangover before?