I don’t remember the last time I actually committed to a real New Year’s Resolution. Most of the time, I just kind of overlook the “whole change thing” the New Year brings and focus on staying on the same track. But 2010 brought a whole lot of change in my life, and 2011 should bring even more.
I graduated college in May, started working full-time one week later, and now I’ve been in the same old routine for 7 months. I want my New Year’s Resolutions to give me an extra drive, a push for more change. They should be goals for me to achieve, tasks that aren’t simple and aspirations that I can and will achieve!
1. Run a 5k – In the past couple months, I’ve made a real change in my lifestyle. Instead of lounging around, or drinking with friends after I get home from work, I’ve started working out, specifically running. I can run a 5k on the treadmill under 35 minutes, and in 2011, I want to prove to myself that I can do it outside in a race.
2. Go to Las Vegas – When the Senior Survey came around in high school, I was voted “Most Likely to Lose All of Her Money in Poker.” I was so offended (just kidding!). The truth is that I played poker all the time with the guys, and sometimes I would win, and sometimes (actually 90% of the time) I would lose. But now that I’m 22, have some money saved up and have friends who want to visit Sin City too, I’m determined to go.
3. Cook more – This is a pretty common resolution for many people, and I’m adding it on, too. I don’t cook very much at all. I think that’s partly because I live at home, and if my mother is in the kitchen, making dinner, I don’t want to barge in. But I do want to start cooking meals more for my family. I know it can be tough to cook a whole meal when I come home from a 9-hour day, but 1-2 times a month won’t hurt!
4. Try to be a more positive and cheerful person in the mornings. My bad moods seem to affect everyone around me, and that has to stop. Though I’m not in a bad mood very often, I am a pretty grouchy in the morning. That said, you don’t want to cross my step before I’ve had some coffee. Just ask my dad. He always tries to start in-depth conversations with me before 7:30 a.m. and I go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde. I need to start smiling more in morning.
5. Get out of my comfort zone – I like to do things that I’m used to. I go to the same restaurants, do the same exercises and hang out in the same places. In 2011, I want to try doing more things that aren’t “me.” I’m looking for any ideas, so if you have some suggestions for new things/places to try/go to, please let me know.
6. Complete NaNoWriMo again with a sequel to “Within the Forest” – I wrote my young adult, adventure, fantasy novel in November. It’s over 50,000 words, and it’s not very good. But I had a great time writing it, and the feeling of accomplishment pulsated through me when it was over. I need that exhilaration again, and anyway, Prentisia’s story isn’t over yet.😉
7. Do more yoga – I have a great Yoga Buns DVD by Denise Austin, but I need to find other DVDs or at least try to take a class or two. I’ll have to talk to my sister about this one.
Do you have New Year’s Resolutions for 2011?